Sunday, November 10, 2013

Sinnin' With Lynne

We meet many people throughout our lives and some of those people have a profound effect upon our lives. Some people enter and remain with us always while others enter and exit remaining just long enough to alter the path upon which we walk.  Although Lynne faded from my life, the footsteps she left have remained with me.

I was in awe of Lynne...everyone was! She was the quintessential woman every young girl dreamed of being. I remember the first time I ever saw her. When I opened the kitchen door and walked inside my house, I heard voices coming from my brother's work out room.  Ever since he had come back from Viet Nam he was obsessed with three things: boxing, body building and women.  My middle oldest brother was Mr. Body Beautiful of Bangor, Maine so he spent a lot of time lifting weights so he'd have a perfect physique and oh how he loved the females to admire him! I opened the door and poked my head in to let him know I was home and also to be a little nosy. I wanted to see what female he had back there trying to impress with his biceps.

When I opened the door, standing in front of me was a vision of everything I thought I wanted to be. She was a tall, dark haired beauty with beautiful brown eyes.  Her body was perfectly shaped and she stood confident in her hip hugger bell bottoms and a shirt unbuttoned just enough to show some cleavage.  The shirt was tied up around her midriff in a knot showing off her abs.  Later, I found out she was a go-go dancer at some nightclub and that's how they met. She smiled at me as she eyed me up and down.  I guess I passed inspection or maybe I failed because she immediately took me under her wing. I thought it was only because she was dating my brother, but opportunities like that don't come often, so I just played it cool and went along for the ride. Whatever the reason she had for befriending me didn't matter to me.  I was just a kid, but the road I walked on with Lynne gave me an education I'll never forget.

Shortly after meeting Lynne, my brother told her to NEVER give me any drugs. NOT EVER!!!At 14, I was already experimenting with most substances, but the availability seemed to widen immensely as soon as she came into my life. Although she never gave me any hard drugs, being in her inner circle gave me the contacts to get anything I wanted. She and I would occasionally smoke a joint together, but that was more a social thing to do than it was to get high. Smoking dope for me was never really any big deal...it was just something everyone did.

When my brother and Lynne broke up, we continued being friends. In fact, we spent most of our time together. I was blinded by Lynne's influence over me, but I doubt if I had seen my role in the grand scheme of things it would have changed anything. I saw Lynne as my ticket out of Bangor, Maine and so when she suggested leaving, I jumped at the chance. She was several years older than me and knew the streets. I felt safe with her and as long as I was with her everything seemed to flow in what appeared to be a positive direction.


Lynne and I developed a strange relationship. I could do as I pleased without any questions asked, but she always insisted on knowing where I was. I complied with her request because she took care of me and I was grateful. The streets of Boston became my playground and Lynne became my guardian angel and surrogate mother. I watched how Lynne operated and she did whatever she needed to do to support us.  I was on a need to know basis and I didn't ask questions, but on some level I must have disapproved.  I started doing stuff to piss her off.  I pushed her buttons often, but rarely got angry at me.  I certainly deserved a swift kick in the ass, but she never gave me one.  One evening while she was out, I got into a poker game with a group of people who lived in the same building as us. They liked to party and so did I.  When I lost all my money, I used Lynne as a bet and I lost. Oh shit! I couldn't believe I did that! I really caught hell on that one, but she paid off my bet and made the winner a very happy man. I never played poker with that group again, but was frequently asked to do so. Go figure!

It was a fast crowd and although I was readily accepted into it, there was an unspoken rule that no one was to mess with me in any way. I simply became the one who everyone liked to laugh with and hang out with and get high with.  Lynne was the one they all lusted after.  I accepted my role and knew my place. I never tried to actively change it, but the day did come when I was noticed first and Lynne was invisible. That day immediately changed our relationship and the path I was on.

12 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think I've led a very sheltered life, but then others remind me that I haven't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does anyone really lead a sheltered life?

      Delete
  2. I remember turning draftable in that troubled time --'68. I remember friends coming back and, even more conspicuously, not coming back. I remember the helplessness of my pre-induction physical. I forget the rest. You had it tougher than I did. It was a strange period in our history that I hope goes unrepeated. You're here. You did good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine what being drafted felt like. I don't think I could have gone to war. Knowing me I would have eased out the backdoor and gone to Canada instead. Me having it tougher is a matter of perspective, but you're right, I'm here and sometimes yes, I do good.

      Delete
  3. I was never a good mixer. I had few really close friends growing up and that's true even now. Always tend to hold people at arm's length. When I was young I appreciated older folks more than people my own age. As a loner I could never really be a follower or "one of the gang." Maybe that's why I always had the reputation of being a bit weird. Still do, really. I get asked out to do things all the time but prefer my solitude. Few seem to understand that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This old hermit understands it completely. Weird is totally accepted and highly recommended here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so caught up in your story now...so different from mine, but not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's the most exciting thing! i'm just too strange to be lusted after. or too normal. i really can't guess it. i'm neither ugly nor pretty unless i put in some effort. but as soon as i talk to them, i become the sister they will keep safe from the world. but then i caught myself a boyfriend and he now keeps me safe from the world. im still the girl some think is the coolest, some think is wacko and some think i should have just been born a boy.
    But your story, is one hell yea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "We meet many people throughout our lives and some of those people have a profound effect upon our lives. Some people enter and remain with us always while others enter and exit remaining just long enough to alter the path upon which we walk."

    True that! I'd like to think I've made POSITIVE impacts on people's lives. Something other than setting a bad example.......which I have done often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've all set bad examples, but I too, would like to believe I've impacted people's lives in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete