Thursday, November 7, 2013

Who Is That Girl In The Dark Green Coat?

The thought of organizing my early life in a story that follows a straight line from beginning to end, just isn't me.  Skipping around is more my style and I find it easier to write when I just go with whatever memory pops in my head instead of  trudging through a what comes next storyline.  So here I go jumping from my first memory at age 3 to another false alarm that happened while I was in high school. 

Sometime during Jr. High School or Middle School depending on what part of the country you live in, I knew school and I weren't meant for each other.  I frequently skipped school, cut classes and stayed high most of the time.  When I reached high school (appropriately named) I rarely attended classes.  I might go to school, but my days consisted of sitting in the smoking lounges provided for students who smoked.  I "smoked" or did whatever I felt like doing, but going to class was rarely on my schedule! 

One day after Christmas vacation, I had a terminal case of the munchies. Cafeteria food was pretty disgusting even to someone with the munchies, so I decided to hike down the street to the golden arches.  After going to my locker to get my coat, I figured going out the front entrance of the school would give me the best chance of not being stopped upon leaving.  Just as I was about to leave, the fire alarms went off in the school.  Immediately, about 2000 bitching kids emptied outside.  It was the dead of winter and very cold, but there we all stood in front of Bangor High School. 

The bitch fest about being outside in the cold grew pretty loud until little by little it quieted to complete silence.  When I realized why everyone had gotten silent, I felt a hand on my arm.  The principal said, "Come with me!"  Out of 2000 people, I was the only one wearing a coat. 

I tried explaining I was just cutting school to go get something to eat and didn't have anything to do with the false alarm, but the principal didn't seem interested in hearing my story.  He poked me in the records room and told me he'd be back in a few minutes to deal with me.  I had been instructed to sit in a chair at the large rectangular table in the center of the room.  File cabinets holding all the students' school records lined the perimeter of the room.  I was pretty pissed off and decided this would be a perfect opportunity to get even.  I opened a random file cabinet, grabbed some files and then went to the window.  After opening the window, I liberated the records by tossing them outside into the snow.  I repeated this until the file cabinets were empty.  I shut the window and sat patiently in the chair waiting for the principal to return.

Once in his office, I didn't get much of an opportunity to speak. He suspended me from school, yet told me I had to finish out the day and return the next morning with my parents.  WTF? No time off??? I marched out of his office and straight back to the smoking room where I remained for the rest of the day.  At the end of the day, when I was leaving school I walked by his office and noticed no one was in there.  I slipped in and out quickly leaving him a present.  As I walked out of the building, I had a smile on my face.  I knew how rattled he'd be when he returned to his office and sat down at his desk to see a joint staring at him.   

Of course the next day, I was questioned about the school records and the principal's present.  What school records?  No witnesses, no proof...so what if they had put me in that room!  I bet they wouldn't make that mistake again.  And as for alleged drug abuse, I certainly wouldn't waste a joint on a straight person...that is if I did drugs!  I often wondered if they recovered all the record or how many the wind scattered into no man's land.  Unfortunately mine stayed intact and contains my colorful history of being oppositionally defiant.  I know that principal was glad the next month when I overdosed on barbiturates.  I was taken to the ER and never returned to school after that.  False alarm? I don't think so! I just don't think anyone was really paying attention or knew where the real fire was! 

17 comments:

  1. That's right....you don't do false alarms....I know that for a fact :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. First, you have an exceptionally retentive memory. Second, I sure like how you write. My compliments and admiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things just stick with a person! Are you reading my other writing endeavor? A House Divided: The Kinsman Hall Story? Thank you so much for your kind words. Sometimes the words just flow...

      Delete
  3. Ah, youth. Glad you made it out of it in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did as much as I could to stay OUT of trouble when I was in school, but for some reason my pre-calculus teacher and I didn't get along. She took offense the one day that I cut school and didn't clear it with her first. So the next assignment I turned in, she marked me down a grade for not having paperwork in the project. I turned it back to her and said, the paperwork is right there. She had the UTTER NERVE to say, that wasn't there when I graded it, you must have added that in after I handed that back to you.
    I was so shocked I didn't even know what to say. She'd actually accused me of cheating. I said, no, those were already there. She just stared at me. I said okay, and I left and never went back to her class. There were only 3 weeks of class left, I think.
    I've already taken ambien so this may not be making sense at all, but my point was that her not believing me was really damaging to me. That caused me to become a habitual class skipper, whereas before I only did it occasionally. I was determined to never go back in there and she could fail me before I ever would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always shake my head at some of the dumb stuff I did growing up. It's always a horrible feeling when someone doesn't believe us. That teacher was a real bitch and knew she was pushing your buttons.

      Delete
  5. You certainly have a stormy past....glad things are calmer now for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the storm has passed. My life now is rather simple and peaceful...just the way I like it.

      Delete
  6. I skipped school once and nobody noticed. I was disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awful! Was that the only time you skipped school?

      Delete
    2. Yes. I was bad in other ways.

      Delete
  7. I skipped school, smoked pot and yet no one suspected a thing. "she's a cheerleader, she has good grades, everyone loves her......" Yea, school was easy peasy so it looked like I was an angel. Just imagine if i had applied myself and tried to get good grades or was straight in class. I don't know what I'd do if I had a kid like me. But maybe that is why I don't have kids. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I often wonder what I could have and probably should have done if I had just applied myself in school, but when you're weighed down by what feels like the weight of the world it's difficult doing anything positive.

      I have 3 children and I have many times asked myself if they might have been switched at birth because they grew up to be responsible adults who went to school, have jobs and don't use drugs and have not been in jail, rehab or therapy. How's that happen?

      Delete
  8. sounds like you have boring children

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, I have children who are as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside and I'm so proud of each of them.

      Delete