Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Revere Ware Blues

1976
This photo of my daughter and I makes me remember my dislike for Revere Ware pots and pans.  The pot on the stove is one I still have now 38 years later.  Copper pots might be great to use for cooking, but I discovered at a very young age they're a real pain in the ass to keep polished.

When I was a child my mother started collecting Revere Ware.  My brothers and I hated keeping them polished because it was an endless task.  But my mother insisted on keeping her copper cookware shiny and new looking.  Thus it became our responsibility to wash and polish the Revere Ware.

Unlike most people who toss all there pots and pans in a kitchen cabinet out of sight, my mother had a large pegboard in back of the stove to hang all the pots and pans. They might have looked great while they were polished, but the finish only lasted a few days at the most.  Over time the air caused the copper to tarnish without even using them.  Thus polishing those damn pots and pans was a thankless, never-ending, highly hated chore. 

My brothers and I made it crystal clear when we were young that none of us wanted any of the Revere Ware left to us, but I have to admit the older I get, the fonder I get of those old pots and pans.  They may only get polished every once in awhile now, but they hold a certain sentimental spot in my heart.  In fact, while writing this I discovered I developed the overwhelming urge to go polish each one of them...

12 comments:

  1. Well I hope you enjoyed your polishing session. Anything in our house that needed polishing got stored in a box in the basement. Out of sight out of mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My urge lasted as long as it took me to walk from my computer to the kitchen!

      Delete
  2. I thin polishing anything can be an act of meditation, provided you actually like doing it! So go polish away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Revere Pots are my favorites. Nothing ever burns or sticks . . . I found accidentally that ketchup keeps the copper clean. Years ago I must have set the copper bottom pan on a plate with ketchup. Lo and behold . . . it brought the copper back to its brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotta try the ketchup thing...thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  4. (Comment box blocked me out.)

    Now I just take some paper towel with a bit of ketchup, rub it on and presto, copper again. Then I wash the pot and ready for the next time. Never did hang my pots though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's that easy then my pots may sparkle once again!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I know you remember that pegboard in the kitchen. God, I hated those pots and pans!

      Delete
  6. Love the picture!
    But polish? I'm with Delores...no polishing, I don't even know how. I don't think we do that in Kentucky, LOL...

    ReplyDelete