Monday, March 3, 2014

Musical Monday #1

Mildred Ratched's idea of Musical Monday is an excellent way for me to chronicle my younger years in Maine.  My first selection for Musical Monday is a song that has stuck with me since I wrote Where Have All The Flowers Gone.  Build Me Up Buttercup by The Foundations reminds me of the hours I spent with friends doing our own version of American Bandstand. Instead of rating the song, we'd rate each other dancing ability.  Now, that's a hoot because I cannot dance, but I thought I could then and I guess that's all that's important.  Of course, we all gave each other high marks for all those dance moves we had perfected.  We weren't shy or self conscious while shaking our tail feathers...I guess all those insecurities come later when a person finally gets out of their comfort zone and around strangers who might not give them the high marks their friends did.
 
My mother had bought me a portable record player when I was young and that thing got sacked around everywhere I went. Most of us had collections of 45's because they were cheaper than buying albums. Besides, albums in those days seemed to have only a few good songs on them at best.  My cousin, Debbie had a collection of 45's to die for.  I think I might have stolen a 45 or two from her (sorry about that Debbie) to supplement my own puny collection.  I believe that might have been the start of my days as being a light-fingered Louie (another story for another time). 



10 comments:

  1. Remember our first 45: a Beatle double sided. When you tell me that you love me...was on one side. We wore that record out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT!!!! You can't dance!!!!! Im in shock. I thought for sure you could do everything and something tells me you can dance too....I think we spent a night out dancing a few years ago as a matter of fact.....lol Love Where Have All The Flowers Gone....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhhhhhhhhh! You're spoiling my story!

      Delete
  3. It may be 6 am and still in bed, but I am mentally dancing.

    My first 45 was Little Darling. I still have my box of 45s someplace in my basement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's time to break them out and have a retro dance party for your friends.

      Delete